With summer upon us especially in the arid low desert regions of Palm Desert, Palm Springs and Rancho Mirage, Interior design turns to innovative solutions to cope with the heat. This would include indoor arrangements to replace cut flowers which are more difficult to grow and find in the summer.
Mini succulent arrangements are a favorite solution at William Miller Design. These attractive and unique “mini landscapes” can provide a wonderful look for a centerpiece or coffee table arrangement. Taller arrangements are great on a kitchen or bathroom counter.
What is a succulent?
A succulent is a cactus or any other plant that stores water in its stems or leaves. In the course of developing such special talents, these plants have evolved a special kind of gardening -- one filled with unique and wonderful shapes, colors, and textures. Use tall arrangements as a focal point in a room. With tall vases, match the plant material with the height of the container. So when arranging, establish the height first with the plants and then place shorter plants in front.
One very useful and somewhat spectacular euphorbia for adding height is the red and green trigona. In the garden it grows fairly quickly to about six feet tall and is one of the more interesting tall, stiff background plants—invaluable for very large arrangements. Sansevieria leaves are also good for height. They come in several forms and color patterns.
Succulents give you added flexibility. You can rip off leaves that don't "work," making the plant any size you want. Use as many plants as you can; if you don't like your arrangement, just keep going. It will get better.
Use tall arrangements as a focal point in a room. With tall vases, match the plant material with the height of the container. So when arranging, establish the height first with the plants and then place shorter plants in front.
Advantages of succulent arrangements:
• Low maintenance succulents can maintain their form and color for four weeks with no need for watering- adverse conditions often bring our most vibrant colors in these special plants.
• Organic and non-allergenic many varieties will not prick or otherwise irritate your skin when touched.
• Uniqueness- The shapes, texture, and colors are unique and interesting ,they will have everyone wondering if they are real.
• A renewable resource Rather than discard the arrangements. These plants can be planted and grown outdoors.
• Economy Because succulents have to be replaced only once a month, they are less expensive than cut flowers.
Forget about watering these arrangements and you'll be fine! These fleshy-leaved plants hold moisture in their stems, roots or leaves (immersion in water will cause the stems to rot). So add drama and interest to your interior with easy to maintain succulent arrangements.