Friday, February 18, 2011

Things I Love About Modernism Week: Clerestory Windows











I'm going
to try to limit myself to just posting a single thing that I like about Mid-Century Modernism during Palm Springs' Modernism Week, which runs through February 27.

My first thing that I love are clerestory windows. Rooted in religious architecture, and reaching their height (ha ha) of popularity during Romaneaque and Gothic cathedrals, these uppoer-wall windows were artfully applied to residential homes in the 1950's, giving residents a glimpse of sky, but none of their neighbors. During this time of rapid suburban expansion, overcrowding was rife in these developments, and the cape cods and colonials were not able to give this same amount of privacy while allowing in valuable exterior light.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...